The parish has an enclosed area of 5,270 acres and a population of 4,732 (from the 2001 Census). The parish boundary’ s northernmost point is where the Caudle Ditch joins the Little Wilbraham river and is the lowest point of the parish being 7.5 metres (25 feet) above sea level. To the west, where the Roman Road entrance joins the Fulbourn to Shelford Road, is the highest ground at a height of 68 metres (222 feet).
The site of the early village is believed to have been to the east of St. Vigor’s church where at least three manor houses once stood. This area now mostly belongs to the Townley Manor Estate. Most of the modern village has expanded westwards towards Cambridge since the 1960’s and many open areas within the village envelope have since been infilled with new estates and cul-de-sacs. The village High Street is reputed to be one of the shortest in the county, but does have a reasonable selection of shops.
There were two churches within the same graveyard, St. Vigor’s and All Saints. The latter church was ruined in 1766 when its tower and bells collapsed and it was later demolished and its materials sold. Some of the stonework was incorporated into the Manor garden wall, alongside Manor Walk and some of the arches were used to build a folly in the manor grounds, but has now disappeared. The bells of All Saints were re-cast and hung in St. Vigor’s tower in 1776 to give a new peal of six bells. The old public house in the High Street (The Plough and Crown) was re-named to commemorate this. Three public houses survive, but there were around twelve in the past. Other social meeting places include the Fulbourn Centre at Home End and the Meeting Rooms and Library at the Swifts in Haggis Gap.
The first Parish Council Meeting under the Local Government Act of 1894 was held in Fulbourn in December 1894 and eleven councillors were elected from seventeen candidates. We now have a requirement for fifteen councillors who are elected every four years.